Me Like Words
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
 
Doozy
A real knock out; impressive.

1921 was a good time to be an American. We'd just finished winning WWI, the economy was booming and young man named Gatsby had begun to throw legendary parties in Long Island. Oh, to be young again! Anyway, Americans needed a luxury car to go with their new luxury lifestyles and two brothers named Duesenberg answered the call.

Beginning production in the early 20th century, the Duesenberg automobile was considered to be one of the finest in the world. They started out producing mainly sports cars but by the 1920's they had moved to producing consumer autos. They were never a hit on the level that Ford was and, since they dealt in luxury automobiles, the costs of producing the cars led them to bankruptcy.

A few years later the Duesenbergs were hired to design cars for another company. Almost immediately these new cars - Duesnberg Model J's - were a hit with the rich and famous. They became the ultimate status symbol and many considered them to be the best in the world. The price tag on a top of the line model was $25,000, which is roughly twenty five billion dollars in today's currency or something like that.

Anyway, these new cars were so impressive that their nickname - Duesy - became a synonym for impressive. Thanks to our general lack of interest in preserving root origins, Deusy became Doozy and your the writers of "Groundhog Day" became happy men because they had a word for this totally funny scene where Ned the Head tells Bill Murray to "watch that first step, it's a doozy."


Look at this piece of shit.
 
Comments:
"watch the fuck out for that first motherfucking step that shits a doozy"

- my nigga ned ryerson
 
would you mind connecting the dots? or synapses? where does the "watch that first step" come from? why would the first step be an accomplishment, an out-of-the-park hit? i've lost my barometer...i can tell that part of the line is facetious but which part - the watching or the doozy? if you could explain further i'd appreciate it. thanks!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
I (me) like words. And even more than liking words I like to know where they come from and how they ended up in my mouth. It's called 'Etymology,' and I hope you like words as much as me do. If you have a word or phrase you've been pondering send it to me at Streeter@StreeterSeidell.com with 'Me Like Words' as the subject.

Name:
Location: New York City, New York, United States
ARCHIVES
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 /

MY LINKS
My Blog
My Job
My Videos
My Book
My Flock
ETYMOLOGY RESOURCES
Charles E. Funk Books
Listing of Etymology Books
Eytmology Online Dictionary
Etymology of First Names
WordOrigins.org
David Feldman's Book

eXTReMe Tracker