Me Like Words
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
 
Bury The Hatchet
To make peace.


It's only been a short couple hundred years since the white man has been living here and, as much as it's shocking to think about, there were people here before us. Most of us know the Indians (It's OK to call them that, I checked) as either bloodthirsty savages or intelligent businessmen with an accute understanding that white and black people really, really like to bet on things. But the reality of it is that the Inidans conducted their day to day lives much like we do: grow up, get married, have kids, make war, end war, do business, die.

But for as much as some Indian customs were familiar to the confused and lonely settlers, other customs left them scratching their heads. Their method for signifying that a peace treaty had been struck was particularly odd. There were no papers, no signers, no adjustment of land holdings, etc., there were simply two hatchets burried in the ground. The symbolism isn't hard to see: we used to make war with these and now they are being laid to rest.

Whether or not the settlers tried the method out themselves is up for debate but they certainly took a liking to the phrase Bury the hatchet and we use it to this day.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
I (me) like words. And even more than liking words I like to know where they come from and how they ended up in my mouth. It's called 'Etymology,' and I hope you like words as much as me do. If you have a word or phrase you've been pondering send it to me at Streeter@StreeterSeidell.com with 'Me Like Words' as the subject.

Name:
Location: New York City, New York, United States
ARCHIVES
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 /

MY LINKS
My Blog
My Job
My Videos
My Book
My Flock
ETYMOLOGY RESOURCES
Charles E. Funk Books
Listing of Etymology Books
Eytmology Online Dictionary
Etymology of First Names
WordOrigins.org
David Feldman's Book

eXTReMe Tracker