Me Like Words
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
 
I know I said I would post a word a day on this site but I've been sick for the past few days and when faced with the choice of doing a post or spending a few quality days on my toilet, I chose the latter. Anyway...

Hillbilly
A pejorative nickname for people who dwell in remote, rural, mountainous areas. In particular the term refers to residents of the Ozarks and Appalachia in the United States.


Oh man, do we hate poor people or what?! And besides White Trash I can't think of a better term to describe these country dwellin', pig eatin', bean grownin' sons o' bitches than Hillbilly.

The hill part is easy enough to understand; they lived in the Ozark and Appalachian mountains, both very destitute, poor places. The Appalachian region is especially poor and depressing. I know this because my Great Grandpa once told me that the only people who live up there are "sister f*ckers and inbred freaks with wop eyes and n*gger noses." I really miss him sometimes. He fought in Word War I, you know...

Anyway, we've got the Hill down, but what about the Billy? It seems that for about four hundred years up until fairly recently the word Billy has been meant fellow or guy. Armed with that knowledge the term Hillbilly simply means "Hill Guy." Or, to my Great Grandpa, "Slant-eyed, homo, sheep f*cking catholics livin' in sin up in the hills there. Boy, Don't let me catch you wandering up there; they'll eat you alive." The world got a little bit darker when he passed away.
Hillbillies are so scary that they inspired the holiday Halloween. It's true, but don't bother looking it up.

 
Comments:
Thanks Streeter! Sorry to hear that you were "under the weather" (how about you make that tomorrow's post, because now I'm wondering where it came from). Glad you are feeling better :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
I (me) like words. And even more than liking words I like to know where they come from and how they ended up in my mouth. It's called 'Etymology,' and I hope you like words as much as me do. If you have a word or phrase you've been pondering send it to me at Streeter@StreeterSeidell.com with 'Me Like Words' as the subject.

Name:
Location: New York City, New York, United States
ARCHIVES
June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 /

MY LINKS
My Blog
My Job
My Videos
My Book
My Flock
ETYMOLOGY RESOURCES
Charles E. Funk Books
Listing of Etymology Books
Eytmology Online Dictionary
Etymology of First Names
WordOrigins.org
David Feldman's Book

eXTReMe Tracker